- Hongyu Zhou (M.Sc. @ NTNU, B.Sc @ HUST), starting Fall 2021
- Zirui Xu (M.Sc. @ GaTech, B.Sc @ Northeastern University (China)), starting Fall 2021
Thank you for your interest in my research on trustworthy autonomy at the University of Michigan.
Prospective graduate students
If you are outside U-M, please consider applying to the U-M graduate program this Fall. Due to the large volume of emails, I might not be able to reply to all emails from prospective students. Still, I welcome all emails, and I read them. If you have a website and a Google Scholar entry, please share them with me. I will certainly consider you for financial aid decisions; the decisions are made in the Spring.
- For more information about Ann Arbor, check out here and here.
- For more information about the Department of Aerospace Engineering, check out here and here.
If you are master’s student at U-M, please consider taking one of the classes I teach, or becoming an intern in the group. Once we are all back in Campus, I also invite any opportunity to chat in person during my posted office hours or at the water cooler. If you would prefer to email me, please do so, and aim to include a CV or resume, an (unofficial) transcript, your website and, if any publications, your Google Scholar entry.
If you are an undergraduate student at U-M, please consider taking one of the classes I teach, or becoming a UROP/intern in the group. Once we are all back in Campus, I also invite any opportunity to chat in person during my posted office hours or at the water cooler. If you would prefer to email me, please do so, and aim to include a CV or resume, and an (unofficial) transcript.
Resources for all students (undergraduate and graduate)
"[...] to learn in the process the values of endurance, courage, and strength of purpose." John W. Gardner
- Article on being comfortable to feel stupid, by Martin A. Schwartz (thank you Jeff Fessler for sharing)
- Article on imposter syndrome, by Michael Price (thank you Jeff Fessler for sharing)
- Mindset: The New Psychology of Success, by Carol S. Dweck
- John Donahoe: Dump the Myth of the High Achiever, by Luke Stangel
- On Leadership, by John W. Gardner
- Resources authored by Dennis S. Bernstein
- U-M College of Engineering’s Statement of Values and Honor Code
- Podcast on How to Do Gradschool, by Nosa Edoimioya
- How To Speak, by Patrick Winston
- The Pyramid Principle: Logic in Writing and Thinking, by Barbara Minto
- On paper writing, by John Tsitsiklis
Please also refer to the resources authored by Dennis S. Bernstein
- Resources by Rackham Graduate School (including, Fun and Cheap Things to Do in Ann Arbor; see also here)
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Michigan Engineering C.A.R.E. Center
- On diversity, research life, activism, and more, by Radhika Nagpal
- On Stereotype Threat and Identity Threat, by Claude M. Steele
- Resources on perfectionism, time management, procrastination (3 pages), by Ohio State University
- On procrastination:
- Counseling the Procrastinator in Academic Settings, by (editors) Schouwenburg et al.
- iProcrastinate Podcast, by Timothy A. Pychyl
- PhD life, internships, faculty job applications, and more, by Philip Guo
- Preparing for faculty job applications, by Jelena Kovačević