My duty as a teacher, advisor, mentor, person is to support and cultivate environments that empower all students in their goals for self-actualization, both as scientists and human beings.
Please reach out to me at vtzoumas @ umich.edu (he/him/his).
Are you a U-M student? U-M and Ann Arbor communities are here for you:
- Rackham Graduate School’s resources: pertinent to both undergraduate and graduate students (as well as faculty), with resources such as:
- Michigan Engineering C.A.R.E. Center.
- Sexual Assault Prevention and Awareness Center (SAPAC).
- Office for Institutional Equity.
- U-M College of Engineering’s Statement of Values and Honor Code.
- Please see also the resources posted here.
- Lecturer, AEROSP 584 – Navigation and Guidance of Aerospace Vehicles, U-M, Fall 2021
- Lecturer, AEROSP 740 – Visual Navigation for Autonomous Aerial Vehicles, U-M, Winter 2021
- Guest lecturer, 16.485 – Visual Navigation for Autonomous Vehicles, MIT, Fall 2020
- Guest lecturer, 16.485 – Visual Navigation for Autonomous Vehicles, MIT, Fall 2019
STEM Education Publications
- (ISEC) L. Carlone, K. Khosoussi, V. Tzoumas, G. Habibi, M. Ryll, R. Talak, J. Shi, and P. Antonante, Visual Navigation for Autonomous Vehicles: An Open-source Hands-on Robotics Course at MIT. IEEE Integrated STEM Education Conference (ISEC), under review, 2022.
Fireside Chat, U-M, Winter 2022.
- Discussed over zoom with 7 undergraduate and graduate students about aerospace autonomy research, Ph.D. life, and path to becoming a professor.
Student-Professor Dinners, U-M, Fall 2021 and Winter 2022.
- Discussed over dinners with 20 undergraduate and graduate students about aerospace autonomy research, and about best practices in academia.
AIAA Lunches, U-M, Winter and Fall 2021.
- Discussed over lunch with 10 undergraduate and graduate students about aerospace autonomy research, and about best practices in academia.
Sigma Gamma Tau Seminar, U-M, Winter 2021.
LIDS Mentoring Committee, MIT, 2018-2020.
- Led the organization of monthly meetings between Ph.D. students and post-docs to discuss questions of the Ph.D. students about their research and career progress.
- Organized 1 hour-long events on academic faculty applications, which attracted majority of the LIDS Ph.D. student and post-doc community.
LIDS Post-Doctoral Committee, MIT, 2018-2019.
- Co-founded with César Uribe and Francisco Jaimes the committee to foster a post-doc community where post-docs share their career growth experience and best practices.
- Organized 1 hour-long events on academic faculty applications, where LIDS post-docs with faculty position offers discussed their interview experience with the rest of the LIDS post-docs.
- Organized 1 hour-long events for the LIDS post-docs in the academic market to practice their interview presentations
- IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems, 2021-present.
- IEEE Conference in Decision and Control (CDC), 2016 [with Tyler H. Summers]
- American Control Conference (ACC), 2018.
- IEEE Conference in Decision and Control (CDC), 2016.
Program Committee (PC) Member
- Conference on Robot Learning (CoRL), 2020-present.
Reviewer for Journal Submissions
- IEEE Transactions on Automatic Control (TAC), 2014-present.
- Automatica, 2014-present.
- IEEE Transactions on Robotics (TRO), 2018-present.
- IEEE Robotics and Automation Letters (RA-L), 2019-present.
- International Journal of Robotics Research (IJRR), 2018-present.
- Autonomous Robots (AURO), 2018-present.
- IEEE Transactions on Control of Network Systems (TCNS), 2014-present.
- IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing (TSP), 2017-present.
- Sensors, 2018-present.
- IEEE Signal Processing Letters (SPL), 2017.
- IEEE Transactions on Network Science and Engineering (TNSE), 2016.
- Physics Letters, 2017.
- Scientific Reports, 2017.
Reviewer for Conference Submissions
- IEEE Conference on Decision and Control (CDC), 2014-present.
- American Control Conference (ACC), 2014-present.
- IEEE Conference on Robotics and Automation (ICRA), 2018-present.
- IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS), 2020-present.
- IEEE Conference on Cyber-Physical Systems (ICCPS), 2017.
- IEEE Conference on Control Technology and Applications (CCTA), 2019.
- European Control Conference (ECC), 2015.
- Conference on Web and Network Economics (WINE), 2013-2014.
- Conference on Economics and Computation (EC), 2013.